|Well, it’s 2017 and we’re still here! Next week we will be starting the next stage of our campaign along the lines that: “They think it’s all over ….. but it isn’t!”.The vellum may be dry and the Royal Seal affixed to the new BBC Royal Charter but:
· Really today things are sort of carrying on as before
· The BBC Trust is still in existence but is really a ‘dead duck’
· The BBC does not have a new Chairman, any of its Non-Executive Directors and so does not have its new Unitary Board
· Ofcom is not yet ready to take on full responsibility for the regulation of the BBC
· And the inadequate new licence fee agreement means there are still a lot of cuts needed to the BBC and we fear those will be made to many programmes, services, content and production.
In the meantime, no one knows how the BBC will be held directly accountable to the licence fee payers – ‘The Missing Link’
So there is still a lot for us to do. And there don’t seem to many others around who are still worrying about all this. Okay so a lot of the worst fears for the BBC’s future didn’t come about. And yes, there are a lot of other important things to attend to, not least Brexit. However, the BBC remains vital to us in so many ways.
So we must be back refreshed and renewed now the New Year has started and remain vigilant and continue ‘the good fight’ to keep our BBC safe and sound.